Friday, August 8, 2008

Written by Molly Plant.


This is written by a person who had contact with Corrina Lozoya while at Texas Children's Hospital...



In a lifetime, you will cross paths with many people. Some we meet
only in passing, while others touch our hearts forever. Recently,
I crossed the path of a young family with three children. The
mother was staying at Texas Children’s Hospital with her youngest
daughter, Corrina. They were hoping to find medical answers to
Corrina’s lung problems.




By leading me down this path, God allowed me to meet a wonderful
mother caring for her beautiful daughter, Corrina. My heart
melted at this wonderful little person whose communication skills
were limited to sign language due to her tracheotomy. Corrina
immediately brought love to my heart as I was invited to play in her
world. Corrina taught me the signs for movies, “hold me”, “drink”,
and kisses! At that moment, I felt like the most privileged person
in the world. This strong little girl with smiles on her face stood
before me, asking me to hold her. What a lucky person I was!
After communicating with Corrina’s mother, Patrice, for several
months, I learned that Corrina would undergo a double lung
transplant. Corrina’s parents made this difficult decision after
numerous discussions with the doctors, with each other, and with
concerned family and friends. Corrina was not getting better, and
she needed new lungs to continue her journey through life.
The day of the transplant came, and this brave little girl was taken
to surgery. Corrina did well and held strong after her surgery, but
she was placed in the ICU. She could feel and hear her parents
and brother and sister’s voices as they whispered their love to
her. Corrina spent many weeks in the ICU, but she struggled with
multiple medical issues that began to arise. After many weeks of
love and struggling, the time came for Corrina to pass on from our
life into a life where she is free to run and play and is no longer
hurting or constrained by medical problems.




I was privileged to attend her funeral where I met the many medical
teams and doctors that dedicated their time to Corrina. We all were
able to share in the blessings of being touched by Corrina the Angel!
I will forever hold the memories of this strong, beautiful girl in my
mind and heart. Thank you, Corrina, for sharing with me!

No comments: